Saturday, October 2, 2010

My Name is S-ah-sh-ah

For Linguists: My name,Sasha, begins with the letter “S” which is an alveolar fricative and is not voiced. To pronounce the beginning of my name you would first make the “s” sound with the front part of your tongue on the alveolar ridge. The second letter of my name “a” is pronounced like the front vowel “æ”. The third and fourth letter forms a voiceless palatal fricative and this sound is made with your tongue and your palate. The last letter “a” is pronounced the same way the second “a” from my name is made like “æ”. In IPA my name would be sæʃæ.
For Non-Linguists: To pronounce my name, Sasha, you would need to start by saying the “s” sound found in the begining of the word snake. Then you need to open your mouth to make a “ah” sound which can be found in the word salad. Following the “ah” sound you need to make a “sh” sound which is found in the word shoe. When making this sound you should feel air being pushed out of your mouth. The last step in pronouncing my name is repeating the “ah” sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment